Anti wrinkle injections are used for temporary relaxing the facial muscles to help relax muscle movement. This results in softening wrinkles and can prevent the formation of new ones.
The anti wrinkle injections are best suited to treat
- Frown lines or worry lines
- Crow’s feet or laugh lines
- Forehead or surprise lines
Our qualified and experienced Registered Nurse Division 1 Alex Pike can work with you to determine which kind of treatment will be beneficial to you.
Anti wrinkle injections work by blocking the impulses from the nerves that control facial muscle movement. After about 3 days after the injection the muscle relaxation occurs. This results in a smooth rejuvenated appearance of the overlying skin that can remain from three to eight months. When anti wrinkle injections are used for dynamic facial lines, the smoothing effect typically lasts for about ten to twelve weeks.
As anti wrinkle injections help to reduce excessive movement of underlying muscles lines and wrinkles resulting from sagging skin will not be improved by Anti Wrinkle Injections. The most commonly treated areas include the following:
- Frown lines or worry lines between the eyebrows
- Forehead lines
- “Laugh lines” or Crows feet
- Non surgical eyebrow lift
- Shaping eyebrows.
In these facial areas, the excessive contraction of the muscles below the skin cause it to wrinkle and eventually over time “crease”. The “Crease” lines on the skin that do not disappear when stretched out will be improved through anti wrinkle injections but not completely removed and may need additional Dermal Filler treatment.
Other areas where Anti Wrinkle Injections can be effectively used are
- Depressed corners of the mouth
- Neck bands
- Puckering of the chin
- Lower jaw muscles.
- The lines seen when sniffing
Muscle relaxation of the injected area occurs three to five days after the anti wrinkle injection. However the complete effect may not be visible for two weeks.
The muscle relaxation of the injected muscles caused by Anti Wrinkle Injections lasts from ten to twelve weeks. During this period of time the damaged collagen beneath the wrinkle line is repaired and “fills in” the lines that were caused by the former movement of the muscle. This effect becomes more obvious when an area has had repeated injections and can in many cases cause the lines to disappear. This so called “filling in” effect can cause some confusion regarding how long Anti Wrinkle Injections actually last. Our goal is for patients to have a natural look not to have a “frozen face”. The majority using of patients will only needAnti Wrinkle Injections two or three times a year to maintain the improved appearance.
Very small quantities are injected into the facial muscles to be treated using a tiny needle. Several of these tiny injections, approximately five to ten per area, are made at one time. The pain is minimal and no anesthetic is required, although a cold pack may sometimes be applied prior to the injections. Anti Wrinkle Injections are a simple procedure that lasts between ten to thirty minutes. As there is no recovery time, patients can resume normal activities the same day. However you should avoid rubbing the injected areas or at least eight hours.
The price of anti wrinkle injections vary due to the strength of the muscle, size of the area being treated and the depth of the treated wrinkles.
The vast majority of patients experience no complications with anti wrinkle injections. It only affects the muscles injected and is not absorbed by the blood stream. The Anti Wrinkle Injection dose is eliminated from the body in a few days but the nerve impulse to the muscle is disabled for three to four months. No serious or long-term health hazards have been attributed to the correct injecting of Anti Wrinkle Injections.
However you may experience some mild side effects such as
- Mild swelling or redness at the injection site which will leave within a few hours
- Slight bruising at the injection site can occur but is not common. This bruising can be avoided by applying an ice packs prior to the injection and thoroughly inspecting the treated area for blood vessels prior to injecting. The bruising will settle in two to six days and can be covered with makeup.
- Occasionally, the injected muscles will be insufficiently weakened and further injections will be needed after two weeks
- Drooping of the upper eyelid that can last up to three weeks is rare. This side effect can be treated with eye drops until it resolves by itself, which typically takes a few days
- Drooping of the forehead can occur if excessive Anti Wrinkle Injection is used in the same area.
Patients that have with neuromuscular disorders such as myesthenia gravis should not be treated with Anti Wrinkle Injections. No side effects from Anti Wrinkle Injections have been reported when pregnant or nursing women have been inadvertently treated, although the safety of anti wrinkle injections during pregnancy or lactation has not been firmly established.